I’ve made a lot of roasts, they never quite seem to taste like my mom’s. Overcooked, never the right exact flavor, dry, bland etc. Tonight, tonight ladies an gents it was flavorful, moist, delicious. Yes! Here’s the tasty little secret…
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1.5-2 pound beef chuck roast (grass fed beef)
- Sea salt and pepper
- 1.5-2 cups beef stock or chicken stock (homemade is preferred)
- 1/2 cup red wine (optional)
- 2 sweet onions, cut into large wedges
- 4 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 teaspoon dried rosemary
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 2 pounds carrots, cut into 1 inch chunks
- 1 pound sweet potatoes, cut into 1 inch chunks
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.Sprinkle roast all over with 1 teaspoon sea salt and 1/2 teaspoon pepper. In a Dutch oven, heat oil over medium-high heat. Place seasoned meat in pan, and brown on all sides, about 7-10 minutes.
Turn meat fat side up. Add stock, wine, onions, garlic, rosemary and thyme. After it has come to a small simmer, cover it and put in the oven. Roast for 3.5 hours. Add carrots and sweet potatoes, and cook until vegetables are tender, about 30 more minutes.
Pull out the roast and cut or shred the meat. Transfer the vegetables to platter and add meat. Enjoy!